J
03-29-2005, 09:24 AM
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS8386088053.html

ComputerGuy
03-29-2005, 10:19 AM
That's kewl. No larger than a RJ 45

Cobra94
03-29-2005, 10:26 AM
what does linux do. sorry I'm a phone tech. i dont have a clue when it comes to data.

J
03-29-2005, 10:28 AM
what does linux do. sorry I'm a phone tech. i dont have a clue when it comes to data.
Its a light weight OS

ComputerGuy
03-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Where as M$oft is an over weight OS!! Slow and clumbsy!!

Joe Friday
03-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Windows always worked well for me - win 95 & 98

EddieGT
03-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Its a light weight OS
Linux isn't a light-weight OS (in itself), it's a POSIX compliant "UNIX-like" operating system. Some distributions are focused on space, therefor they strip the kernel down as much as possible and only include relevant services.

Microsoft has embedded versions of NT and XP (XPe) that are "light-weight" as well. It's all in what the device will be used for.

Linux in itself is not necessarily the most secure and stable OS ever made. It's just among the first to be developed, not only as open source, but also by non-affiliated groups of people. This is where it gained its "fame" from.

Its future in the embedded device market is bright, due to low-cost and easy kernel customization, but as always it will be difficult for it to bloom in the desktop market. As much as people complain about Windows and Microsoft in general, there's a reason why they own the market share they do... It's not all in the marketing, it's also in the effectiveness of the product they provide.

J
03-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Ok then you put windows on a floppy. asshole.

EddieGT
03-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Ok then you put windows on a floppy. asshole.
:fu:

You put a Linux distribution with a useable XFree86 and window manager combo in it and I'll be down for the challenge.

I have Windows in a floppy... A Windows 98 floppy that has minimal networking drivers and boots up enough TCP/IP services to connect to remote drives and execute applications that way. Same thing as a minimal instance of the Linux kernel...

Keep in mind a "flopp-based" Linux distribution probably only loads up a single service. Try putting XFree86 in there so you can actually do anything graphical... Or try running Apache with PHP and Perl executables and libraries off of just 1 floppy...

People don't understand these concepts well enough so immediately assume that a Linux light-weight distribution is a God send.

EddieGT
03-29-2005, 02:22 PM
by the way, we (as in the company I work for) develop a product that runs off of a very minimal Linux distribution for biometrics Physical Access. We are strongly considering switching to XPe or NT embedded for specific benefits. Licensee fees are higher, but the SDK's are much more robust and the support you get from Microsoft (when you have a Premier account) is among the best in the industry.

J
03-29-2005, 02:24 PM
I dont know about you but i dont use a GUI on linux :)

EddieGT
03-29-2005, 02:27 PM
I dont know about you but i dont use a GUI on linux :)
we don't either... and about 80% of my networking utilities are command shell based (Windows).

But I covered all bases in my response... The latest Linux kernel is actually quite the piggy, size-wise... Unless you strip it down for a very single-minded purpose.

ComputerGuy
03-29-2005, 04:00 PM
I am knocking Microsoft or Windows. XP is a vast improvement and Server 2003 is way much better. I am glad M$oft has changed their thinking and turned services off at install that automatically on.

Also, with out them, I would not have a job, or certifications. Being a SMS Administrator, Patch and security Administrator keeps me busy and in demand. I am responsible for over 7090 workstations to patch!!

EddieGT
03-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Also, with out them, I would not have a job, or certifications.
Amen to that! :beerchug:

PhaQGM
03-29-2005, 08:12 PM
What the fuck are you geeks talking about?

ComputerGuy
03-29-2005, 08:21 PM
What the fuck are you geeks talking about?

We are talking in a very low level of conversation on a mild disagreement in regards to Operating systems a person might use in an enterprise or home environment.

Also in the debate was the security of each in question OS, how patch maanagement works in each, user interoperability, etc.

We also talked about how each OS handles each of the tiers of the OSI model in regards to security, unnecesary services running in not only a Linux Kerner version 2.07 (I Think) and Microsoft XP or Server 2K3, how they are either relevant to the use intended for the particlular servers function or workstations function, Desktop, print, file, mail, relay, spam, etc.

Thats about it really. Nothing much too complicated or really important.

EddieGT
03-29-2005, 11:13 PM
We are talking in a very low level of conversation on a mild disagreement in regards to Operating systems a person might use in an enterprise or home environment.

Also in the debate was the security of each in question OS, how patch maanagement works in each, user interoperability, etc.

We also talked about how each OS handles each of the tiers of the OSI model in regards to security, unnecesary services running in not only a Linux Kerner version 2.07 (I Think) and Microsoft XP or Server 2K3, how they are either relevant to the use intended for the particlular servers function or workstations function, Desktop, print, file, mail, relay, spam, etc.

Thats about it really. Nothing much too complicated or really important.
I think people liked it better when we were arguing about Iraq and the Bush administration...