PDA

View Full Version : Clutches!!!!

Goldmustang2000
03-16-2005, 07:03 AM
:nailbite: Hey everyone!!! This is my first actual post, but I was wondering about clutches.. I have the worst luck I just got my car out of storage, and the 2nd day I had it out the clutch dropped it's a 2000 GT. How much do they usually cost for a new clutch?? :j:

1BadRoushChick
03-16-2005, 09:43 AM
I bought a new stock one with throw out bearing @ Ramchargers for $150.oo, I didn't get to put it in myself so I had to return it and Bill Brown Ford charged me $751.oo for towing, installation and parts, bleh!!

Goldmustang2000
03-16-2005, 11:05 AM
I went to auto zone today and got a clutch for $136 and wear master is going to install it on saturday for me and only charge me $250 and my dads friend is going to tow it for me for only $40. So I got rea;ly lucky this time around!!!! :w00t:

Killercanary
04-03-2005, 04:02 PM
If you have a set of jack stands, a floor jack, and a basic set of ratchets you can EASILY do this yourself as its really not that hard at all. I could NEVER pay anyone to work on my car, especially after seeing how much they charge for realitively easy jobs.

Joe Friday
04-03-2005, 10:57 PM
I picked up a nice spec 2 clutch for under 200. I really like it so far. granted i've only put 500 miles on it :D

White Stang
06-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Spec stage 3 here :beerchug: If you want to make it challenging install LT headers, 7qt oil pan using a stock K member in your garage on jack stands. Then installing the flywheel, clutch and transmission. :ranting: you will need a transmission jack or adapter or a extra pair of hands. both if your lucky. Every job is easier with a friend :smack:

fastmustangs1
06-26-2005, 04:07 PM
The Spec clutches seem to work well. :ugh2:

StarDriver
06-26-2005, 10:19 PM
I run a CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, it wasn't cheap but hasn't failed me yet.

A few helpful hints in changing your clutch.
1. There is one bolt on the top of the starter that is tough to get out and impossible to see. Get it out first, then cut the head of the bolt out and thread it back in and use it as a pilot bolt to put the starter back on.

2. You will need to drop out the H-pipe to make it easier to get the tranny out. Make sure not to damage the O2 sensors.

3. While your at it, put in an adjustable aluminum clutch quadrant and cable. The factory piece is self adjusting and plastic. The Ford Racing one costs around $100.

4. I had to loosen the K member to get everything loose, you have to tip the back of the engine down to get at the top bolts on the trans.

Have fun.

Cobra67
08-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Get the book from autozone or any parts store that deals with your specific year mustang. It will help with the repair. The other thing is if time permits, check out EBAY. There are kits on there with the clutch alignment tool and pilot bearing. I have bought a ton of parts from there. Hint take the tranny loose from the bell housing then drop it. If money is real tight use some fine sand paper and remove some of the glaze off the flywheel (instead of having it resurfaced). Make sure to use something flat to sand with as to not groove the flywheel.

:nxnos: :gso: :gso: :nxnos: