PDA

View Full Version : Woooo is me!!!

99BlackCobra
02-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, heres the deal... Good news and bad news...

Bad news first
Driving the car this past friday, the car just fell flat on its face. No power what so ever, followed by a faint ticking noise in the top of the right head... Called everyone i knew to ask for possible problems. Then i gave in and trailered her to a buddy's shop. where he is now tearing here down. First he finds the #3 spark plug on the passenger side crossed threaded and now blown out of the (head).. (FYI) Ford changed the spark plugs about 8k miles ago.(ASSHOLES) . luckily it only stripped the first 2 or 3 layers of threads, Easy fix. Tap and Dye (sp)
So he deciedes to pull the rest of the plugs to just check, the back 2 plugs on both sides are soaked in oil, Telling us the piston rings are on their last leg. But have atleast 6 months of life if i watch them properly..and check the oil levels.

Good news...
Since its my buddy who is fixing my car ( 100% Satisfaction or $$ back)
We decide in april, to do a motor rebuild.
We are first going to bore the motor .020 over, install Forged pistons and rods, as well as everything else need to prep the motor for the eaton conversion, Which will allow me to boost to 13-15psi no problems..
So shes gonna be back today or tomorrow, with her name on a transplant list...
Cross your fingers and pray for her.

Cant wait to have her boosted and geared..

CODY2003
02-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Only someone other than me, could take blown rings, and turn that into a bore and stroke rebuild. :goodbye:

99BlackCobra
02-14-2005, 03:01 PM
lol, well she still runs strong, just we know the rings are getting thin..
so im saving and gonna beat the motor at its own game..

NoSlo5.0
02-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Rings are gettin thin?! Helicoil or tap the sparkplug then do a compression test followed by a bleed down test on all 8 first. You seeing blue smoke? How much oil does she use between changes? I find it VERY hard to believe that your rings are shot before even the valve stem seals started leaking.

CODY2003
02-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Rings are gettin thin?! Helicoil or tap the sparkplug then do a compression test followed by a bleed down test on all 8 first. You seeing blue smoke? How much oil does she use between changes? I find it VERY hard to believe that your rings are shot before even the valve stem seals started leaking.
I could have been bad rings, or they were installed wrong. One guy I knew at ford said that he had seen rings that wern't offset right and it caused oil wash like that.

Fastest302
02-14-2005, 06:01 PM
all im saying good luck with the car and hope you like it after the rebulid!lol

99BlackCobra
02-14-2005, 06:35 PM
well, the car is 102k miles old....
she uses about 1 quart between oil changes..
no blue smoke, some times but very rarely, black smoke but only when i un cap the cut outs...
other then that Im just saving $$$

and looking for the following
03 cobra lower intake
T/b and plenum
injectors
Heads

NoSlo5.0
02-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Ford wouldn't consider that high oil consumption. They set the threshold at a quart every 900 miles. A quart between oil changes isn't all that much. I would only rebuild based on the results of the compression and leakdown tests, not oil consumption or plug condition.

Cylinder washing, is too much fuel in the cylinder, this washes the oil film off the walls. This could be caused by running extremely rich (caused by an exhaust leak upstream of the O2 sensors) or by loss of fire in the cylinder (broken sparkplug/bad wire)

99BlackCobra
02-14-2005, 08:18 PM
broken sparkplug/bad wire
Hole reason why i have the car getting worked on, and i know its not high consumption, i just want to rebuild it.. That way i can put the blower on it..

Either way thanks for the info

Joe Friday
02-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Spark plug wires.. who needs those? :D

NoSlo5.0
02-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Hole reason why i have the car getting worked on, and i know its not high consumption, i just want to rebuild it.. That way i can put the blower on it..

Either way thanks for the info

I see. Dropping a note or two into the car...

Joe, not everyone has coil on plug...:)

99BlackCobra
02-14-2005, 11:36 PM
I also just discovered, how big a pain in the ass the conversion to a eaton blower is going to, and i may, just get a kbell kit....
3200 for a complete kit...
neways.. Gotta sleep on it

mysteed
02-15-2005, 11:50 AM
just swap over the whole engine from an 03/04 cobra and be done with it for the time being.