PDA

View Full Version : Saleen or Cobra?? Take poll

My Cobra
01-22-2005, 09:53 PM
I have an offer to trade my car plus a little cash and get a 2002 Saleen S-281. I was wanting to know if you think my car plus 3 grand or 4 grand is worth the trade. My car has like 55k on it. Take a look at the 2 pics and let me know what you guys think

http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/38/05/e7_1_b.JPG
2002 Saleen S-281.

http://www.nicklofthouse.com/Car%20pics/HPIM0769.jpg
My 1999 SVT cobra

NoSlo5.0
01-22-2005, 10:00 PM
4 cams for 2, a custom paint job for some urethane ground effects? Keep your car, take the 3 grand he wanted and put in your ride. No brainer.

My Cobra
01-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Its also supercharged with forged internals i think?

IggyBiggy
01-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Its also supercharged with forged internals i think?

the money you earn from the trade can get u a super, and maybe enough for a well built engine.

NoSlo5.0
01-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Although the internals of the 4V in your car aren't anywhere near as stout as the 03/04 internals, it's still plenty strong enough to make 450hp to the wheels all day long. Like the Saleen looks? Buy the kit for your car.

CODY2003
01-22-2005, 10:35 PM
You're not taking into account all of the suspension work. I think it's a good deal. plus the resale on the saleen is better. I would go for the saleen.

My Cobra
01-22-2005, 10:43 PM
A saleen is more than a body kit. But the way i see it is a expensive ass GT. lol

NoSlo5.0
01-22-2005, 11:01 PM
After reviewing all the stuff Saleen has to say about their 281SC, I'd definitely keep the Cobra. Most of this stuff translates to "stock GT" stuff. Racecraft springs and struts/shocks, not any better than stock Cobra stuff. Stock engine internals, worse than Cobra. 375HP? Not even close to a Cobra with 8lbs of boost.

Motor description...

Saleen Series IV Twin Screw Supercharger, 3.5 inch power tube, 80mm Cast 356-T6 Aluminum Inlet Tube, Saleen Cast 356-T6 Aluminum Manifold, Water-to-Air Intercooler, Saleen PowerFlash Engine Management, 30lb./hr Fuel Injectors

Suspension...

Hybrid Macpherson with Saleen Racecraft system including N2 struts, variable-rate coil springs mounted on lower control arms, 1.38 in. stabilizer (anti-roll) bar with urethane pivot bushings, specially calibrated suspension settings
Rear Live axle four bar link with variable-rate coil spings on lower trailing arms, Quadra Shock System with Saleen Racecraft shocks; stabilizer (anti-roll) bar

Power...

375 hp @ 5800 RPM Torque 415 ft.-lb. @ 3500

NoSlo5.0
01-22-2005, 11:10 PM
For the life of me I cannot understand why people put cars like Saleen, Roush, and Mach's up on a pedestal. The more you know about what goes into them, the less and less impressed you should be with them. The 351SC, that was a badass tuner car. Your run of the mill Roush and Saleen cars are mostly just pretty faces. Saleen didn't do a damn thing to engines when they got started, it was just a pretty kit/wheels and some lowering springs.

Most people can buy a GT and sink the difference between what they would have spent on a Cobra into their car, and spank the Cobra in all aspects with the exception of Kelly Blue Book. If a Cobra is your starting point...you hardly need to spend any cash to make it a monster. A Saleen kit, or for that matter, any quality urethane body kit is going to set you back around $1500, Saleen has specials all the time for around $1000-1200.

Your brakes are probably better, unless the car in question has opted for the 14" units. Your motor is better. Your paint is better. Your IRS is more refined. The Saleen is pretty and more expensive.

My Cobra
01-22-2005, 11:14 PM
I could careless about the body kit or the rims. I am interested in the resale value, the fact it is factory supercharged, still under warentee for another year, Less miles. The way it looks does not matter much. It is still the mustang body style that i love so the rims do not matter and the lowering springs and crappy side skirts do not mean much to me.

stalkerbabe
01-22-2005, 11:15 PM
I could careless about the body kit or the rims. I am interested in the resale value, the fact it is factory supercharged, still under warentee for another year, Less miles. The way it looks does not matter much. It is still the mustang body style that i love so the rims do not matter and the lowering springs and crappy side skirts do not mean much to me.
how many miles are on it?

My Cobra
01-22-2005, 11:18 PM
my car has 55k, the saleen has 17k. I messed up on the poll. It has 17k miles on it.

IggyBiggy
01-22-2005, 11:28 PM
After reviewing all the stuff Saleen has to say about their 281SC, I'd definitely keep the Cobra. Most of this stuff translates to "stock GT" stuff. Racecraft springs and struts/shocks, not any better than stock Cobra stuff. Stock engine internals, worse than Cobra. 375HP? Not even close to a Cobra with 8lbs of boost.

Motor description...

Saleen Series IV Twin Screw Supercharger, 3.5 inch power tube, 80mm Cast 356-T6 Aluminum Inlet Tube, Saleen Cast 356-T6 Aluminum Manifold, Water-to-Air Intercooler, Saleen PowerFlash Engine Management, 30lb./hr Fuel Injectors

Suspension...

Hybrid Macpherson with Saleen Racecraft system including N2 struts, variable-rate coil springs mounted on lower control arms, 1.38 in. stabilizer (anti-roll) bar with urethane pivot bushings, specially calibrated suspension settings
Rear Live axle four bar link with variable-rate coil spings on lower trailing arms, Quadra Shock System with Saleen Racecraft shocks; stabilizer (anti-roll) bar

Power...

375 hp @ 5800 RPM Torque 415 ft.-lb. @ 3500

his cobra is not an 03. he doesnt have a factory super

NoSlo5.0
01-22-2005, 11:28 PM

Who the crap buys a Mustang and gives a flip about resale value? A car is not an investment, never will be, and you will be a rotting corpse before you ever get rich off your trade in. If you're into the cars for a short time and trade often, then don't modify them, don't drive them, and don't claim to be a gearhead or enthusiast. Be one of those guys who buys a pretty car that someone else put together for you (Roush, Saleen, etc.) Pick your path and pick your car...

My Cobra
01-22-2005, 11:42 PM
LOL. I trade cars every year or so. Look at it this way. I got my cobra for 11 grand. if i give my car and 2 or 3 grand that means that i have a 02 saleen for 13 or 14 grand. I can sell it for 20 grand if i want to. Make 6 or 7 grand profit. If i sell my cobra that i paid 11 grand for i will get maybe MAYBE if i am lucky i will get 13 or 14. That is what they go for on e-bay. that means i get 2 grand profit instead of 6 or 7. I know you can not make money off of a car. If i wanted a investment i would buy land lol. Cause you know you can sell it later no problem.

NoSlo5.0
01-23-2005, 12:08 AM
So whatcha want to do? If building a potent streetcar is the ultimate goal, then the car you are driving is a much better foundation.

My Cobra
01-23-2005, 12:26 AM
I want a car that not everybody and there brother has. I want a car i can break the tires loose froma roll in 2nd or 3rd. I want a car that i can take to the track and once and a blue moon and not get looked down on by the owers of stock 03 or 04 cobra owners lol. But that is hard to do. Do not know how many people say "They made cobras with out superchargers? Waht a waste"

95mustang302
01-23-2005, 12:56 AM
go for the saleen

BruntzySVT
01-23-2005, 05:48 AM
My cobra listen to me!

as some say the saleen or the cobra i say the cobra...

Saleen is more rare, supercharged

saleen is said 350 at flywheel, yours 320, go get intake, gears, full exhaust you'll hang!

Saleen is SOHC! single bro! single, we are the DUAL! double man you cant give that up

OoOO im going to give my GT to saleen to drop a body kit, sus work, and s/c and then re sale for 30k more! lol not worth it this is what you do

Kenne bell s/c at 11psi 450 right there, then port go up to 16psi and your at 600+ for only like 5k at most! man DOHC over SOHC is so much! you dont want a GT WITH JUST A BODY KIT, RIMS, AND A BIT OF SUSPENSION WORK, AND GHETTO S/C making almost as much as you! cobra is the way to go, cobra has always been around, saleen hasnt, thnk about it man! ill help you with an s/c dude! i can get parts for cheaper let me know!

BruntzySVT
01-23-2005, 05:49 AM
o sorry ANOTHER 5K RESALE JUST FOR THE FUCKEN SALEEN SIGNATURE ON YOUR DASH LOL!

BruntzySVT
01-23-2005, 05:51 AM
COBRA DAWG! MY COBRA HAS SHITTY tune and is down, i still love her! ford sucks i know but SVT custom builds our engines and cars, thats gotta mean something, how cool does SVT sound? pretty dam cool! Saleen sounds cool too but its geh!

NoSlo5.0
01-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Hmmm. Saleen has been around for a lot longer than the cammer Cobra's, longer than the SN-95 Cobra's, and even before the aero Foxes. They made four eye Saleens in the beginning. Granted, I don't think a motor was ever touched until the early 90's, it was mostly suspension and body kit/wheels then.

There is no way to justify getting rid of a Cobra for a GT (Saleen) supercharged or not. The GT motor has weak internals, the Cobra doesn't, 4v heads vs. 2v heads, 11" brakes vs. 13"? Cobra suspension pieces vs. some bolt on Racecraft (okay, that's a wash). Dupont's best vs. some factory crap?

I got news for you, your car isn't like everyone elses. You are a supercharger kit away from telling those dumbasses at the track from sucking a fart out of your ass...

My Cobra
01-23-2005, 12:12 PM
I dunno about the supercharger kit away from beating them but the rest of what you say is true. I can not run over 8 pounds of boost on my car safley. I dunno the way i see it is it will cost me like 3 to 4 grand for a blower and all the stuff i need for it. When i coudl get a supercharged saleen for 2 grand pretty much.

NoSlo5.0
01-23-2005, 01:16 PM
But the supercharged Saleen will make less power than your Cobra with similar mods. The Saleen is already closer to the safe limits of power production compared to your cobra. 8lbs of boost into your motor will make waaaaaaay more power than the measly 375 the saleen is rated for. Something you're not admitting must be pulling you to that car, are you sure you don't want the body kit and wheels?

My Cobra
01-23-2005, 03:22 PM
I have had a saleen before. My dad has it now and man i love the way they feel. The way they pull in 2nd and 3rd gear is unreal. Well his was but that also has a blow zilla pushing a shit load of boost.

ChromaLusion
01-23-2005, 08:42 PM
You know what my answer is

My Cobra
01-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Yea. But you never rode in the S281. But hell i guess the poll says it all. I will just keep my stuff and dump some more cash in to it.

My Cobra
01-23-2005, 08:59 PM
thanks for all the input you guys/girls I will keep the car and see where i can go form here.

mysteed
01-23-2005, 09:02 PM
I have had a saleen before. My dad has it now and man i love the way they feel. The way they pull in 2nd and 3rd gear is unreal. Well his was but that also has a blow zilla pushing a shit load of boost.
A blowzilla? No wonder you like it so much. Go the KB or TT route and keep the boost down. Then you'll have the same acceleration in your Cobra as your dad has in his GT. Then add cams, heads, ect the possibilites are endless.

As for 03/04 Cobra owners talkin trash to ya, get used to it. I have other V6ers talk trash about my stang but nothing ever happens. Words are words, and no matter how much you mod your car, someone will look at it and say, "man, that thing is a piece of crap"

NoSlo5.0
01-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I think you're making the only logical choice in this case. Once yours is blown, what are those 03/04's gonna say? "My motor has better rods than yours" So WTF, you'll be turning the same track times or better, and you can tell them to suck that fart out of your ass because at least you built it yourself. They had to plop down the cash for whatever ford had to offer. And no, I don't consider swapping a blower pulley and bolting in an off road pipe "building a car"...

My Cobra
01-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Aiight thanks for all the input. I guess the extra cash that i have now will go to the blower fund.

EddieGT
01-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Who the crap buys a Mustang and gives a flip about resale value? A car is not an investment, never will be, and you will be a rotting corpse before you ever get rich off your trade in. If you're into the cars for a short time and trade often, then don't modify them, don't drive them, and don't claim to be a gearhead or enthusiast. Be one of those guys who buys a pretty car that someone else put together for you (Roush, Saleen, etc.) Pick your path and pick your car...

Amen.

And BTW (to My Cobra), "resale" value on the Saleen is not better than a Cobra... What you might be referring to is "mark up" value, and that's if the car happens to be in high demand when you decide to sell it.

Keep in mind most insurance companies won't have a separate classification for your car if it's a Saleen. If the car gets into a wreck, they can base the book value on the baseline vehicle (Mustang GT) and giev you crap for your car.

If you get a "specialty vehicle" policy on it, you'll pay a good deal of money in insurance. Would that be worth the "resale value" increase?

Saleen's are nice, but I haven't been too impressed with their performance, considering how much they cost compared to a stock GT.

I believe the best bang for the buck is and will remain the Terminator Cobras (03/04). If your goal is to reach 450 HP at the wheels with the minimal cost, pick up a decent used '03 Cobra. No brainer.

EddieGT
01-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Aiight thanks for all the input. I guess the extra cash that i have now will go to the blower fund.

Okay, I didn't see this til now, sorry for my attempts to convince you to do something you already had in mind, hehe...

Well sort of... Instead of $6500 for a blower on your '99, why not pick up an '03 Cobra as a trade... Might cost you about the same and you'll already have a strong engine that's boost-friendly.

My Cobra
01-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks eddie. I have been looking around a little bit and i can get a 03 cobra for my car plus 6 grand.

EddieGT
01-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks eddie. I have been looking around a little bit and i can get a 03 cobra for my car plus 6 grand.

BTW, don't think it's available anymore but just before I got my black '04, there was a Mystichrome '04 at the same dealer with just 2300 miles (yes, twenty-three-hundred) for 27,900.

So I'm sure you could probably get a standard miles one for much less than that!

I just thought you may want to keep your uniqueness going... If not, go for Black... Everybody knows black Mustangs are the sexiest of them all... :thumpupn:

ChromaLusion
01-24-2005, 02:47 PM
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehHhh! I say.... Keep this Cobra AND get an 03 Cobra.... oh yeah... ohhh but you'd have to park one outside tho :( only a one car garage... hmmm we can keep one here at my house? :) lol

My Cobra
01-24-2005, 04:42 PM
A black mustang is sexy. that is what i wanted in the first place. I looked up and down to find a black GT. then found my cobra. I would love to get a 03 cobra black and get rid of the one i have now.
Chroma: I would just keep it in the garage or a rental place. New house is gonna have a 2 car garage :)

NoSlo5.0
01-24-2005, 05:38 PM

You never mentioned this...

Hmmm, I'm trading in your car in less than half a breath in this case. The shortblock is good for 800hp without breaking a sweat. All the pieces are in place for a solid performing car without much further investment. 6K more, shoot, you'd spend 4 just for a s/c for your car. 2K more to step up to bulletproof internals? DO IT! That is all.

EddieGT
01-24-2005, 05:53 PM
You never mentioned this...

Hmmm, I'm trading in your car in less than half a breath in this case. The shortblock is good for 800hp without breaking a sweat. All the pieces are in place for a solid performing car without much further investment. 6K more, shoot, you'd spend 4 just for a s/c for your car. 2K more to step up to bulletproof internals? DO IT! That is all.

:devil:

cobraspence
01-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Dude just get what you want!!!

<begin my opionon>
I'd keep the Cobra because with the same mods it will kill the Saleen, handling and straight line. Someone said it will keep up with a 03-04 SVT - I wouldn't push that high compression DOHC that hard, or you'll be looking for new parts on the bottom end. The color of your car makes it unique so no matter what it will always stick out, even without all those air-dams and wings and stuff. There is no replacement for IRS in the handling department. But in the end your decision comes down to how comfortable you are with an older higher mileage car.
</end my opinion>

Bottom line = If you don't like to work on your car, or to see it break down as it gets older, then by all means get a newer beast.

ClintEastwood
01-24-2005, 08:23 PM
id get the saleen....

NoSlo5.0
01-24-2005, 08:34 PM
The Saleen is right out considering the possibility of a Terminator for only 3-4K more. The Saleen is at it's limit for long term reliability, (could make more power, but not indefinitely) the Cobra is just getting started. The Cobra is one or two model years newer as well. The Cobra is under warranty. I've changed my vote, it's got to be the new Cobra. If not, then keep yours and drop some bucks into it.

maemaimay
01-25-2005, 11:40 AM
keep the cobra! haha. im biased. bweh.