PDA

View Full Version : 3.8 Power Getters

ComputerGuy
01-19-2005, 07:40 PM
OK.. BESIDES the obvious, until I replace the 3.8 I JUST want to see what I can get out of the 3.8 engine. Obvious being Nitrous or forced induction.

Would like some ideas.

Right now have CAI with K&N

Going to do Steeda Underdrive pullies, and Off Road H pipe with Flowmasters.

Also thinking of chip.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome

CODY2003
01-19-2005, 08:12 PM
OK.. BESIDES the obvious, until I replace the 3.8 I JUST want to see what I can get out of the 3.8 engine. Obvious being Nitrous or forced induction.

Would like some ideas.

Right now have CAI with K&N

Going to do Steeda Underdrive pullies, and Off Road H pipe with Flowmasters.

Also thinking of chip.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome
First thing you should get is exhaust.
Keeps from burning your valves and you get the sound.

Then I would suggest some chassis work like SFCs, STB, etc.

Then get the stuff you listed.

My Cobra
01-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Exhaust (Headers, midpipe, cat back) then i would go with a nice nx wet kit run 75 shot (I know you said no nitrous but you can run that and be safe and it will not cost you that much. J does it. then a decent tune and you will be set :)

Hockeyb0y3
01-20-2005, 03:00 AM
well you can change out heads,cam etc and just build a strong engine and get good #s and be able to handle a power adder, but if your looking into cheap HP honestly what everyone else said, exhaust will get you a tiny bit TQ and just make it sound better, but if you want instant power then we wet kit in the best way.

My Cobra
01-20-2005, 08:50 AM
I would get exhaust then go with a wet kit.

NoSlo5.0
01-20-2005, 10:13 AM
There aren't any serious off the shelf power parts for the 3.8 as far as I know. I've seen cam's, but that's about it. Most of the stuff you'd end up buying is going to be reworked factory pieces. Ported heads and intakes for example.

A s/c is a big chunk of cash to lay out for some power if you're considering a swap later on. You might want to research the swap in detail before committing to it. The biggest decision you need to make up front is whether or not you will keep the six and make the most of it, or tool around for now and swap to an 8 later.

For as much as the V8 swap will cost you in the end, you'd probably be quite pleased with the V6's performance with the same amount invested (invested is a bad word). Point being, you can buy exhaust now for your six, but if you go to an eight, you're re-buying exhaust. Buy a s/c now, and it won't be usable on the eigth. You're CAI isn't gonna work either. You'll positively need a new rearend to handle the 8 (and probably the built 6 too) unless you never use sticky tires, and even then it's a gamble.

So...If you are after instant gratification, and wanting to keep the car somewhat unique, I'd be inclined to buy full exhaust for the six (which you already have, right? I thought I saw duals in your pics?) and then I'd buy the most complete vortech kit I could get my hands on. That should include the necessary fuel system upgrades and other pieces to build a really strong performing six.