PDA

View Full Version : service engine soon light

MachAngel04
01-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Well it went on a couple times of course after the warranty was up, but it always went off a week or two later. Well it went on again back in Oct. for about a month before I got it checked out and a friend of mine works on cars and he replaced the EGR Sensor? I think that was it. So he reset my computer and it stayed off for about 3 weeks and went back on again! So he looked at it yesterday and said he has to replace the catalytic convertor. Which he originally told me might need replacement. So my question is, how much would u say it would cost me to get replaced? And do you think I will have anymore problems??
btw it is an 01 V6 with about 44,000 miles

EddieGT
01-14-2005, 12:22 PM
If you don't have an aftermarket exhaust, this would be your chance (and a great excuse) to get one...

Don't forget to get a high-flow cat to go with it...

Not sure how much the OEM cats go for, but I think a high-flow cat is in the vicinity of $150... Could someone correct me if i'm way off?

NoSlo5.0
01-14-2005, 05:08 PM
It's a shame you are so far away, I've got a stock V6 cat pipe out in the garage you could have...just to get rid of it.

I am very curious as to how your cats are already bad? Your miles are waaay too low to expect stock cats to have already failed. Check your O2 sensors first. You buddy is probably suggesting the replacement based only on codes from the EEC? The aft O2 sensors are used to verify the operation of the cat, the forward O2's are controlling the engine a/f ratio. Look into this before plopping down $1000+ for a stock pipe, definitely buy aftermarket if you are out of warranty.

My Cobra
01-14-2005, 06:08 PM
I would go aftermarket go to www.mustangexhaust.com and see what osunds good to you.

MachAngel04
01-14-2005, 07:31 PM
ok, well now the problem isn't the catalytic converter, it is the sensor?? Its gonna be $120 for the part. Does this sound right?? I wish I had a Mustang expert looking at my car damn it! I am just about to get rid of it if I have to replace one more stupid sensor!

:hmmm: anyone in the Chicago area an expert that would like to take my car and fix it??

J
01-14-2005, 09:32 PM
120$ sounds like hes replacing the sensor... unless hes gonna do a hack job.

MachAngel04
01-15-2005, 08:06 PM
120$ sounds like hes replacing the sensor... unless hes gonna do a hack job.

ya that is exactly what he replaced. Got it back today :clap:

FastRedPonyCar
01-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Good to hear he didn't do you wrong. It's a shame that people DO get screwed in these sorts of situations. My gf's grandmother paid someone and arm and a leg to replace an O2 sensor in her MPV minivan. :bs:

ulvdemon
06-28-2005, 11:23 AM
I am having the same problem with my 02 V6. I had the EGRs ensor replaced, and not even a week later the check engine soon light came back on. So now I have to get it checked again to make sure the replaced the right sensor.

Cobra67
08-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Guys these sensors can be checked before being removed with a multi meter. There are also new scanners out there like the Modis from snap on that can check the operation of the sensor. It can sample the 5 volt signal against a stored pattern and verify the problem. the old MT2500 will do a goods job at checking out the problem. Let me know if I can help.

ulvdemon
08-28-2005, 09:04 AM
I finally had it checked out, it was a bad sensor. What makes me upset was that I had the EGR replaced over a year ago and they never caught it, and it wasn't the sensor that needed replacing! So I learned a lesson there.