PDA

View Full Version : Headlight help!!!

98_Red_Showgirl
10-11-2011, 12:50 PM
My daughter's Jeep has a major headlight issue that I want to fix. It's a 2000 Grand Cherokee, and like every older vehicle the headlights have started to look like shit. Some guy at Advanced Auto Parts recommended me a restore kit and said they work good, but I haven't read anything that great about them bc of the abrasives used and the sanding of the UV outer layer. Can anyone shed some light on this problem. I was going to buy her a new set for X-Mas, but they are around $269 for one and a little over $100 for the other, totally out of the question for me. If you have used these restore kits, are they worth it or ANY help would be appreciative! Ty!

J
10-11-2011, 02:10 PM
I have used them before, it helps, but it depends mainly on what the cause of the 'film' is. On some of the shittier headlights, the problem is on the INSIDE. If thats the case, the restore kit wont help. Its worth the 20$ or so to at least give it a try. Make sure you have device such as an orbital that can produce adequate revolutions, you cannot use those kits with a hand polisher, or rag.

98_Red_Showgirl
10-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanx for the 411. I don't have an orbital, but I can get one. At least I'm heading in the right direction and there's some hope. Ty!

Nicoleb3x3
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
I say wet sand them by hand with 2000 grit....lol Worth trying if all else fails and you're about to trash them.
No idea if that works...I just buy new ones- cause I need 100% perfect lights and I see even the slightest yellow tint on my stang lights and freak out.

Squid
10-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I have an air-polisher with a 3" pad I got from Harbor Freight. The foam pad and some everyday polishing compound does wonders for cleaning up those hazed headlamps (again, provided the haze is on the outside).
I then use Obsessive Detail's polymer sealer to help prevent the haze from returning.

Works for me.

boss91gt
11-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Wet sanding with 2000 grit works, you have to polish them after. Took me about an hour to do a set by hand.

crimsonblack
11-18-2011, 09:28 PM
check around the web for a used set of headlights too. Local junkyard or ebay maybe. The kits could work but like J said... many of the issues are on the inside as well as the outside of the headlight.

My headlights are pulsing. I need a new switch... dammit. And I have a rattle under the car somewhere. Crap!

totalfkndarkness
01-23-2012, 08:04 PM
I've tried restore kits, buying plastic cleaning compound, rubbing compounds, they all worked about the same, barely any difference, it was less of a hassle and the rewards are much greater to just buy new headlights.