PDA

View Full Version : New Transmission

iluvmystang
01-10-2005, 11:51 AM
I bought the white V6 on Friday. Saturday we noticed the transmission was slipping, and that it needed to be replaced. We called up the guy we bought it from (small shitty car lot) and told him the problem. He said that the car was fine and we messed the transmission up.

So we got our friend (rich and is opening a smal car lot) to go talk to him about all the shit, and now he has to pay to get a new transmission, and have the transmission put in :devil:

So the White V6 is getting a BRAND NEW transmission, hopefully very soon it will have a Eibach Pro Kit installed.

J
01-10-2005, 12:48 PM
I bought the white V6 on Friday. Saturday we noticed the transmission was slipping, and that it needed to be replaced. We called up the guy we bought it from (small shitty car lot) and told him the problem. He said that the car was fine and we messed the transmission up.

So we got our friend (rich and is opening a smal car lot) to go talk to him about all the shit, and now he has to pay to get a new transmission, and have the transmission put in :devil:

So the White V6 is getting a BRAND NEW transmission, hopefully very soon it will have a Eibach Pro Kit installed.
good deal... AUTO or MANUAL ?

My Cobra
01-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Sounds like he tried to screw ya. Make sure he takes it to a reputable place to have the work done

iluvmystang
01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Unfortunately it is an Auto. Mom for some reason thinks Manuals are crap. And she bought it for me so I am not arguing.

FastRedPonyCar
01-10-2005, 02:51 PM
crap I could have sold you mine for cheap. I bought a 98+ 4R70W when I was going to replace mine but the wiring harness for the pre 98 car's don't match the 98+ transmission wiring plugs so I've got an auto with 3000 miles in mint condition in my garage waiting for a buyer. If anyone is interested, I'll sell it for $300. That's what I paid for it from a VERY good friend (hence the low price) and all I want is my money back. I could care less about making a profit to be quite honest.

EddieGT
01-10-2005, 03:57 PM
My fiancee's previous stang was a 2000 white V6 coupe automatic. Those trannies aren't the best there are... With less than 45k miles on the odo, it was already acting up.

Either way, the white coupes look sexy... congrats on your new ride!

Also, you'll have fun taking off... The V6 3.8L with an automatic has more low-end torque than you'll ever imagine...

iluvmystang
01-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Hopefully... Isn't there something I can get that will make the automatic have better shifts, called like a shift kit or something?

EddieGT
01-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Hopefully... Isn't there something I can get that will make the automatic have better shifts, called like a shift kit or something?

I don't know in the Mustangs, but some cars (like the Subaru SVX) use a solenoid to control the amount of "slip" during shifts. The longer this slip, the smoother the shifting but the more heat that is generated (not to mention, the faster the clutches will wear off). The shift kits will make the shifts happen quicker (harder), thus reducing heat and contributing to a longer life of internals, at the expense of smoothness when driving around town.

mysteed
01-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Yeah, you can take it and get it tuned like I did. Make sure that you have other stuff done first, so the tune isn't a waste of $.

FastRedPonyCar
01-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I had a transgo shift kit in my auto. it cost me over $2000 in transmission repairs. You've been warned.

If you're going to touch the transmission there are a few things you MUST know.

- The minute you touch the transmission to do anything to make it peform better it's almost critical to add a transmission cooler. I say ALMOST because if you live up in canada or someplace north where it doesn't get too hot, you can deal without it but heat is the #1 killer of auto trannies (aside from neutral drops). The best cooler there is is the B&M plate style cooler. Summit racing has the best prices. If you live down south, get the optional electric fan.

- The other important thing is to stay as far away from Performace Automatic as possible unless you're getting a torqe converter or C4 transmission parts. Their 4R70W's and valve bodies are turds. I know from experience.

Level 10 and Lentech are the two best companies to buy from. The only shift kit worth looking at is the one level 10 sells but you MUST get the solenoid and install taht with it or you'll have torqe converter shudder when the transmission heats up.

I've done a lot of research and learned a lot of lessons the hard way. If you guys have any other questions just ask.